Monthly choral workshop
at Radlett Village Institute, 413 Watling Street, Radlett, Hertfordshire WD7 7JG
SUNDAY 19 MAY 2019
Singers are currently focusing on preparing for:
Links to currently available demos for these upcoming items of special music are highlighted in the table below; more will be added soon!:
- Friday 26 April, Last Day of Unleavened Bread, North London Church, Throned In Majesty and By His Hand
- Saturday 11 May, 1.45pm rehearsal, Like As a Father (Cherubini), ‘Northampton Goes Dutch’ event, Saxon Hall, Thorpe St, Raunds, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire NN9 6LT
- Cambridge Church Saturday 1 June to sing the Salvation Army songster piece What is Love?
- Pentecost, Sunday 9 June, North London church, 9.45am rehearsal ahead of 10.30am service, What is Love?
- Keith & Kristyn Getty Sing! events coming up in June, in Belfast and Edinburgh; opportunities for individuals or singing groups to attend. If anyone would like to sign up, here is the link: https://www.gettymusic.com/singbelfast?utm_term=0_34c1eea318-e03676b4f0-100283141
- Future London special music to work towards: Thy Kingdom and Dominion
All the music is provided – you don’t have to buy anything – and we are able to provide learning materials as CDs or MP3 files to help you learn your parts. Learning demos are also available on SoundCloud and the scores for Duncan's compositions are available on Scoreexchange.
Sadly, Duncan died on 29 June 2018. The choir sang The New 23rd Psalm in his funeral service - link here.
But his music lives on, filling a gap in the choral repertoire - explore Duncan's choral compositions here
From 2.30 – 5.30 pm, once a month, usually on the third Sunday of the month, a group of singers get together for practice and fellowship at Radlett Village Institute.
These rehearsals have been ongoing since 1980 and we thought it would be good to let you know that we are still around!
We would like to have a few more voices joining in, so please give some thought to coming along and giving it a go. This is not confined to people who attend churches, so if you know someone who might like to come and give it a try, why not bring them too?
The music we practise is mostly from The Miracles of Jesus and The Parables of Jesus series by Duncan, Handel’s Messiah and various choral anthems that can be sung as special music in church or at festivals. Some of the choir sing each year in Messiah from Scratch at the Albert Hall, and we have also worked on and joined in with Haydn’s Creation.
A demo of one of The Miracles of Jesus series, “Fish For Breakfast”, reached No. 3 in the New Christian Music UK top 20 chart and No. 11 in the European top 40 chart in 2011. No other choir in the world has this series – in fact, within the traditional choral repertoire, there seems to have been a total news blackout on the miracles of Jesus. The monthly rehearsals are an important part of test-driving these new pieces, and to start with, we sing along to demo recordings.
Our local church congregation is able to have weekly special music on the basis of these.
Oh yes – and we have some nice refreshments too… plus it’s a good chance to catch up with friends near and far, as we have singers from as far afield as Camberwell, Great Baddow, Luton, North London, Kettering, Northampton and Watford.
Next three rehearsals:
Sunday *13 January = 2nd Sunday
Sunday 17 February
for a prompt start at 2.30 pm. If you're early, you might get a cup of tea before we start!!! The hall is open from 2 pm.
Sunday 17 March
Hope to see you there!
Any questions? You are welcome to contact us on email@example.com